About Blue Moon Fitness
Blue Moon Fitness evolved from our 22 years of experience operating as licensees of Gold’s Gym. We launched the Fit Happens program while we were under the Gold’s Gym name but thought we needed to separate ourselves from the stereotype that seemed to follow Gold’s Gym.
We had long-since given up on identifying as having a focus on competitive bodybuilders and power lifters, with that departure being hastened after the Surgeon General released a report in 1996 titled “Physical Activity and Health”. That report confirmed what many of us in the fitness industry knew intuitively; everyone needs to exercise, and physical activity improves both the quality and quantity of our lives. Blue Moon Fitness was chosen to make the statement that we serve those who exercise “just once in a Blue Moon” – and everyone else who wants to come along.
One of the ways we succinctly describe our evolution is “In the 80s and 90s we did our best to serve people who hoped to lift 300 pounds– and everyone else who wanted to come along. Today we are doing our best to serve people who want to avoid weighing 300 pounds – and everyone else who want to come along.”
The Fit Happens program was a sort of salute to our radio program, Fit Happens, which was hosted by Joel Potter and Dr. Pat Friend. Dr. Friend is an Omaha chiropractor who unselfishly donated his Saturday mornings to help spread the message of fitness to anyone who would listen.
What makes Blue Moon Fitness different?
- Women’s only exercise areas
- Lowest prices for a membership that includes group fitness classes (Omaha South and Omaha North)
- Mindfulness of women and first-time exercisers when designing the clubs.
- Cardio cinema (Bellevue)
- Longest operating tax paying club in Omaha (108th & Q location)
- Only clubs to have TV on (almost) all pieces of cardio.
- More Big Ass Fans than any other club – B.A.F. rep said he has never seen a club with better circulation.
- Only club in Omaha or Lincoln that offer XGT classes.
- Open 365 days a year.
- First clubs in our markets to offer $10 / month memberships
- Blue Moon Fitness was voted #1 Best of Omaha for 2019!
- Have been voted Best of Omaha 24 of the 27 years it has been in existence.
- Changing stalls in locker rooms (3 of the 6 clubs)
- Strive equipment in every location.
- Only clubs anywhere to offer free 3-month memberships for anyone diagnosed with cancer or diabetes.
- Easiest membership agreement to read and understand in the fitness industry.
- Only membership agreement in the industry that was written with some humor injected.
- Only clubs anywhere to offer sportswear up to size XXXXXL (That is 5Xl!!!!!)
- Only clubs to offer discounts on all drinks for upper tier members.
- Showers and toilet stalls were designed for larger people – they are 4′ wide if built since we became Blue Moon Fitness.
- Red Light Therapy offered – look up the benefits because we cannot tell you what they are.
- Focus on saving energy – some clubs have LED lights, some have Big Ass Fans, one even has a waterless urinal!
- Dumbbells go up in 2.5 pound increments for ease of use.
- We have given away thousands and thousands of roses to women on Valentines Day.
- Locally owned and operated. (Not a claim that we can make in Battle Creek since we are based in Nebraska.)
Why Blue Moon Fitness?
Why did we choose the name Blue Moon Fitness? Blue Moon Fitness was established with a focus on making first-time exercisers and women comfortable. We considered many names before selecting Blue Moon Fitness. The challenge was coming up with a name that fit, felt right, and was available to trademark and use as a web… Read More ›Learn More
Amenities at Blue Moon Fitness One of our most important amenities is our friendly staff. We do our best to hire and train friendly staff. While we always have room to improve, we are very proud of how our members rank our friendliness compared to how members of other clubs around the country rank their… Read More ›Learn More
Meet the Staff
Part of the Family Meet the Staff Blue Moon Fitness Blue Moon Fitness has a dedicated staff, with some staff having worked with us for 25+ years and others working part-time for short periods while supplementing another job, while between jobs, or while attending school. Organizational Chart Chief Enlightenment Officer – Joel Potter Omaha South… Read More ›Learn More
Work Out, Get Rewarded Blue Moon Fitness rewards our members with points earned by a variety of activities, from simply using the club, having a birthday, referring a friend and more. Points can be redeemed for retail purchases or membership.Learn More
Blue Moon Fitness Cares
Blue Moon Fitness strives to improve the lives of those in the communities we serve. Since we launched our first club in 1989, we have actively sought out good causes that align with our mission and values. From the Muscular Dystrophy Association, to Toys for Tots, to supporting first responders, from various food drives to… Read More ›Learn More
We are always looking for great people on our team. Whether you are a student looking for a first job, someone with a desire for a second job, or someone who wants to make a career serving others by helping support their efforts, we may have a spot for you.Learn More
What We Do
Welcome to Blue Moon Fitness …the club intended to be comfortable enough, friendly enough, helpful enough, and cheap enough that even people who only exercise once in a Blue Moon can fit in. Blue Moon Fitness is not your typical health club and we want you to understand that up front. This website is intended… Read More ›Learn More
Who We Love to Serve
The number 300 is an interesting number. It means a perfect game in bowling. It’s the number that separates good hitters from great hitters in baseball. It’s a number that has significance for people who lifted weights. A person who is able to bench press, squat or deadlift 300 pounds is in an elite group.… Read More ›Learn More